Thursday, September 21, 2006

I'm at work again and I am wondering about the sign in front of me at the desk. It says " Service Point opens at 09:00", the same as the one in front of the porter who is at the enquiries desk (I am at the issues desk). So far tonight two people have tried to return books to me, one has asked for an Inter-Library Loan (not sure if I should have let him have that one), two more have asked if I can issue books for them, another one asked for help with the self-issue machine after he broke the receipt feeder, one wanted to reserve a carrell, and another wanted to know where she could buy printer credits (at least I think that's what she was asking).

The Inter-Library Loan guy was probably alright, same as the self-issue guy (even though he broke the machine and I don't have a key to be able to get in and fix it), printer girl and carrell guy (the information's on our website as far as I know but I helped them as best I could).

However, the whole point of self-service hours is that the library staff aren't meant to issue and return books etc. The porter's here for security, to lock up and make sure I'm alright. I'm here to process the books from the return bins and shelve them if appropriate, and issue any books that are on reserve because they can't be accessed without a member of staff. Most people get this and even those that I can serve usually ask if it's alright for them to have their reserved items but tonight I can't understand why people can't read my little sign when they seem perfectly able to read the porter's sign about five metres away LOL

No comments: